Twyla Tharp is an American choreographer, dancer, and author based in New York City. Twyla Tharp Dance was founded by her in 1966. Her work often incorporates classical, jazz, and contemporary pop music.
Twyla Tharp Dance traveled widely around the world from 1971 to 1988, performing original works. Tharp choreographed Deuce Coupe for the Joffrey Ballet in 1973 to the music of The Beach Boys. Deuce Coupe is recognized as the first “crossover ballet,” combining ballet and modern dance. Later, she choreographed Mikhail Baryshnikov in Push Comes to Shove (1976), which is now considered the best example of crossover ballet.
Twyla Tharp Dance combined with American Ballet Theatre in 1988, and 16 of Tharp’s works have been premiered at ABT since then. On May 24, 2018, Harvard University awarded Tharp an honorary Doctor of Arts degree.
Twyla Tharp Age, Date of Birth, Birthday, Family, what about her father, mother, where is Twyla Tharp from? Early life
Twyla Tharp was born on July 1, 1941, in Indianapolis, Indiana. Twyla Tharp is well known for her skills as a dancer and as a Ballet dancer and choreographer that incorporates mainstream music into her work. During her career, she has won several awards, including two Emmys and the Princess Grace Award for Outstanding Artistry in 2006.
Moving onto her Early life and family, her Father name was William Tharp and her mother’s name was Lecile Tharp. Twyla used to spend a few months each year on her Quaker grandparents’ farm in Indiana when she was a child.
Her mother insisted her to take dance, musical instrument, shorthand, German, and French lessons. Tharp’s family moved to Rialto, California, in 1950, with her younger sister Twanette, twin brothers Stanley and Stanford, and her parents. In Rialto, William and Lecile ran Tharp Motors and Tharp Automobiles. Tharp worked at a drive-in movie theater that they opened.
She began her studies at Pomona College before transferring to Barnard College, where she graduated with a bachelor’s degree in art history in 1963. She studied with Richard Thomas, Martha Graham, and Merce Cunningham in New York. Tharp joined the Paul Taylor Dance Company in 1963.
Twyla Tharp’s Career as Dancer, Creative Habit, Contribution to modern dance
Tharp created her own company, Twyla Tharp Dance, in 1965, after choreographing her first dance, Tank Dive. Classical, jazz, and modern pop music are often used in her work. Twyla Tharp Dance toured widely throughout the world from 1971 to 1988, performing original works.
Tharp choreographed Deuce Coupe for the Joffrey Ballet in 1973 to the music of The Beach Boys. The ballet Deuce Coupe is considered as the first crossover ballet. Later, she choreographed Mikhail Baryshnikov in Push Comes to Shove (1976), which is now considered the best example of crossover ballet.
You may also like: Tristan Cabrera Age, Aka Yawi age, Height, Birthday, Girlfriend, Height, bio
Twyla Tharp Dance and American Ballet Theatre merged in 1988, and ABT has since premiered 16 of Tharp’s works. It had 20 of her works in its repertory in 2010. Since then, Tharp has choreographed for the Paris Opera Ballet, The Royal Ballet, New York City Ballet, Boston Ballet, Joffrey Ballet, Pacific Northwest Ballet, Miami City Ballet, American Ballet Theatre, Hubbard Street Dance, and Martha Graham Dance Company, among many others. She also co-created the dance roadshow Cutting Up (1992) with Baryshnikov, which toured for two months and visited 28 cities.
Twyla Tharp Dance reformed in 2000 with all-new dancers. This company also toured around world, and it was with this company that Tharp developed the material for Movin’ Out, an award-winning Broadway musical starring several of the company’s dancers and featuring Billy Joel’s songs.
At Pacific Northwest Ballet in Seattle, Tharp was the first Artist in Residency (A.I.R.).
Twyla Tharp’s Achievements
Tharp has won 2 Emmy Awards, 19 honorary doctorates, the President’s Award of the Vietnam Veterans of America, the 2004 National Medal of the Arts, as well as several grants, including a MacArthur Fellowship. She is an Honorary Member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters and a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and the American Philosophical Society as well. She was awarded and honored with many other awards as well, which are listed below:
- Tharp’s alma mater, Barnard College, honored her with the Barnard Medal of Distinction at the 1982 graduation ceremonies.
- For Movin’ Out, she won the Tony Award for Best Choreography and the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Choreography. As a Singer, she was nominated for a Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Choreography.
- For her choreography in Singin’ in the Rain, she was nominated for a Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Choreography.
- In 2008, Tharp was named a Kennedy Center Honoree. In 1993, she became a member of the Academy of Achievement.
- The Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery featured Tharp as a pioneer in American modern dance in the critically acclaimed “Dancing the Dream” exhibition from 2013 to 2014.
- Harvard University awarded her the Doctor of Arts degree on May 24, 2018.
Twyla Tharp Net worth, how much is earned from her career?
At the age of 78, Twyla Tharp is a Dancer with a net worth of $1.5 million to $5.5 million. Twyla Tharp makes the majority of her money as a professional dancer.
Twyla Tharp Husband, is she married? what about children?
Talking about Twyla Tharp’s relationship status, she is currently single. However, in 1962, Tharp was happily marrige to her husband Peter Young, who is a painter she met at Pomona College. But sadly, they got a divorce later. After divorce, she married her second husband, Bob Huot. Her Second Husband was an artist as well. However, they got divorced later as well. Both relationships were doomed to fail.
Moving onto her Children she has a daughter with Bob Huot. Her children name is Jesse, Huot and Tharp’s only child, was born in 1971.
Is she available on any Social media platform?
Moreover, she is actively available on social media like Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter with a good fan following. You can find an Instagram account under the name @ twylatharp_.
On her Instagram, she has 1.8K+ followers as of now. She also has an official Facebook page under the username @TwylaTharpDanceFoundation with 7,431 followers and Twitter account under the name @TharpTwyla on which she has over 4k followers.
Where she attended her High school and University?
Tharp enrolled as a freshman at Pomona College and moved to Los Angeles, California, that following summer to pursue her dance studies with Wilson Morelli and John Butler. She moved to Barnard College in New York City in the middle of her sophomore year.
She studied ballet at the American Ballet Theater with Igor Schwezoff, then with Richard Thomas and his wife, Barbara Fallis. Twyla began attending as many dance performances as she could and practiced with Martha Graham (1893–1991), Merce Cunningham, and jazz teacher Eugene “Luigi” Lewis.
Quick Facts about Twyla Tharp
- Where Twyla Tharp was born? She was born in Indiana, where her mother spends more than 15 hours per day teaching her piano, dance, speech, and writing.
- How old is Twyla Tharp? Twyla, who is now 78 years old, is still striving for more. She says, “I had always seen myself as a star.” “I wanted to be a galaxy.”
- What’s her name’s meaning? Her mother figure “Twyla” would look better on a marquee than “Twila” because she was name after Twila Thornburg, the Pig Princess at the 89th annual Muncie Fair.
- How much she earns from her career? At the age of 78, Twyla Tharp is a Dancer with a net worth of $1.5 million to $5.5 million. Twyla Tharp makes the majority of her money as a professional dancer.
- Is she married? Any children? Tharp was happily marrige to Peter Young, who was a painter she met at Pomona College, in 1962. But sadly, they got divorce later. After divorce, she married her second husband, Bob Huot. Her Second Husband was an artist as well. However, they got divorce later as well. Both relationships were doom to fail. Moving onto her Children she has a daughter with Bob Huot. Her children’s name is Jesse, Huot and Tharp’s only child, was born in 1971.
Twyla Tharp ‘s Body Appearance Height, Weight in 2021
|Height (Approx.)||In Feet: 5 feet 3 inches|
Centimeter: 161 cm
Meter: 1.61 m
Interesting facts about Twyla Tharp’s which you should be known
|Net Worth||$1.5 million to $5.5 million|
|Single/ In a relationship||Single|
|Ex Husband||Peter Young Bob Huot|