What is MLB (Major League Baseball)?
Major League Baseball (MLB) is an American professional baseball organization that is the oldest of the major professional sports leagues in the United States and Canada founded in 1903; 117 years ago. If you still don’t know about MLB draft, then read out this one
Read More: Almost everything about Marc Roca under one post. Get to know more about his relationship.
There is a total of 30 teams playing in Major League Baseball out of which 15 teams are in the National League (NL) and there are 15 in the American League(AL).
In 1903, the two leagues collaborated but remained legally separate entities but then, they merged into a single organization led by the Commissioner of Baseball in 2000.
2020 Major League Baseball season:
The 2020 Major League Baseball season was scheduled on March 26. However, the COVID-19 pandemic in North America caused Major League Baseball (MLB) to announce on March 12 that the remainder of spring training games has been canceled.
What is the drafting of a sports team?
The basic knowledge about the draft in sports is a process used to recruit certain players to teams who get exclusive rights to sign the player to a contract, after which other teams in the league may not sign the same player. In the draft, teams take turns selecting from a pool of eligible players.
Fantasy Baseball draft
According to a memo secured Friday by multiple media outlets, the 2020 Major League Baseball Draft is being held on June 10-11. The draft works by assigning amateur baseball players to Major League Baseball (MLB) teams.
The draft order was held according to the reverse order of the 2019 MLB season standings. Moreover, compensation picks have been given to the players who did not sign from the 2019 MLB draft and for teams who lost qualifying free agents.
On March 26, 2020, MLB and the MLBPA decided on the fact that included the option to shorten the draft to five rounds, and also shorten the 2021 draft to 20 rounds.
MLB went for shortening the 2020 draft to five rounds, which will allow teams to sign an unlimited amount of undrafted players for $20,000 each.
It will continue till Thursday with 123 more picks. MLB shortened the draft from 40 rounds to five rounds due to the coronavirus pandemic which will be cost-effective too.
How does the draft actually work during the pandemic?
The memo indicated the plan for teams to draft remotely via video conference, as draft rooms aren’t allowed. The first day of the draft started at 7 p.m. ET and consisted of the first round (37 total picks).
The final four rounds (123 picks) of the shortened five-round draft happened on June 11, beginning at 5 p.m. ET. The event is officially the 2020 MLB Draft Presented by T-Mobile for the first time since the 2008 MLB draft, with sponsorship from T-Mobile. ESPN is covering it live, in addition to the MLB Network.
The list of the first round picks are:
- Spencer Torkelson, 1B/3B, Arizona State by Tigers
- Heston Kjerstad, OF, Arkansas by Orioles
- Max Meyer, RHP, Minnesota by Marlins
- Asa Lacy, LHP, Texas A&M by Royals
- Austin Martin, CF/INF, Vanderbilt by Blue Jays
- Emerson Hancock, RHP, Georgia by Mariners
- Nick Gonzales, 2B, New Mexico State by Pirates
- Robert Hassell, OF, Independence (HS) by Padres
- Zac Veen, OF, Spruce Creek (HS) by the Rockies
- Reid Detmers, LHP, Louisville by Angels
- Garrett Crochet, LHP, Tennessee by White Sox
- Austin Hendrick, OF, West Allegheny (HS) by Reds
- Patrick Bailey, C, NC State by Giants
- Justin Foscue, 2B/3B, Mississippi State by Rangers
- Mick Abel, RHP, Jesuit (HS) by Phillies
- Ed Howard, SS, Mount Carmel (HS)by Cubs
- Nick Yorke, SS, Archbishop Mitty HS by Red Sox
- Bryce Jarvis, RHP, Duke by Diamondbacks
- Pete Crow-Armstrong, OF, Harvard-Westlake (HS) by Mets
- Garrett Mitchell, OF, UCLA by Brewers
- Jordan Walker, 3B, Decatur (HS) by Cardinals
- Cade Cavalli, RHP, Oklahoma by Nationals
- Carson Tucker, SS, Mountain Pointe (HS) by Indians
- Nick Bitsko, RHP, Central Bucks East (HS) by Rays
- Jared Shuster, LHP, Wake Forest by Braves
- Tyler Soderstrom, C, Turlock (HS) by Athletics
- Aaron Sabato, 1B, North Carolina by Twins
- Austin Wells, C, Arizona by Yankees
- Bobby Miller, RHP, Louisville by Dodgers